January 21, 2013

Organization idea: Mason jar spices.

There is something about the start of a new year that gets me feeling so motivated. I have finally started tackling those pesky jobs that have been put on the back burner and saved for a rainy (or snowy) day. Well, the snow has been falling and the wind has been howling, so I figured what a perfect time to start organizing my kitchen cupboards! I also decided that each weekend I am going to organize one room in my house and this past weekend I started with my kitchen.

I don't know about your kitchen, but my pantry and cupboards seem to get pretty outta control very quickly. Before I know it I find myself starring at four Cheerios boxes that are all about 1/8 full and a bunch of random ziploc bags of assorted spices that have been purchased with one specific dish in mind and then once that dish is completed they get tossed to the back of the cupboard and totally forgotten about. Well I finally decided that enough is enough! 2013 is going to be the year of organization and more experimenting in the kitchen! So I started by giving my kitchen a complete overhaul. I found a cupboard full of empty mason jars that were taking up precious cupboard space so I decided to use them for spice, nut, seed, and pasta storage! By doing this I freed up so much more cupboard space and now all of my cooking ingredients are so much more accessible.

Another bonus? They look pretty darn cute. Definitely a step up from my stash of random ziploc bags. I hope this kick-starts your week and inspires you to venture into tackling some of your rainy day jobs!
XO, Stef

18 comments:

  1. This is such a great idea! I really need to get on the mason jar bandwagon ASAP!!!! =)

    Ergo - Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! When I finally have my own kitchen, I'm so putting all my beans, rice, etc. in jars. It's convenient, and it IS totally cute.

    Christen
    an unordinary hello

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just came across your blog the other day and I am in love! Your style is impeccable! My boyfriend's mom and I jar everything - from fresh marinara sauce, to hot sauce and different herbs so I can totally identify with your need to do the same. What a great use of mason jars and I love the labeling! xo Jenna
    http://www.circusofcakes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. they look lovely! very good idea xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! I started using mason jars for storage in my sewing room, with all my ribbons and spindles of thread, and now I'll have to try them in my kitchen. Another adorable post :)

    xo.
    Beth

    www.ThePowWowFactory.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! I use jars to store nuts, seeds, and coconut.
    xx
    Allison

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just bought some chalkboard paint to do this exact thing!! I can't wait until all of my spices and rices are organized. :)
    Trish

    www.jellybonesblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. the labels really bring em together. cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this post because I have my spices and herbs in tiny mason jars. Now I'm just working on new labels and I plan to share. So I love this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are cute - I have them in my kitchen. I like that you can actually see the spices
    www.AhkaVintage.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh gosh, those labels on the jars are so adorable! This is such a good idea, organised AND chic!

    Pop by and visit my blog Taken By Surprise! xx

    Enter my giveaway to win a $80 MsDressy voucher!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thats a great way to recycle jars.

    Vintagehoneybee.blogspot. com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it so much, such a great idea! :)

    xx

    http://reindeertrails.blogspot.com.es

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this idea! Those jars really class up the joint!

    Jordan
    http://jordansvintagekitchen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this idea! Thanks for sharing!
    I'm totally doing it as soon as I get enough mason jars saved & cleaned up :)
    Also thinking another cute add on would be to put a strip of chalkboard paint on the front side of the jar itself for the label...? ideas ideas...;)
    <3lisa
    www.mummascorner.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is such a cute idea!!!! Deff going to need to keep this in mind when I get my own place!

    xoxo
    Sara ( tinysugarbee.blogspot.com )

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love love love! I'm obsessed with Mason Jars and this is a great way to use them. I love that all the sizes are different and non-uniform.

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very cute! And what a great way to re-use mason jars.

    ReplyDelete