January 14, 2013

My vintage bar/cabinet makeover!

So I have a good story behind this vintage cabinet. It all started in the Summer when I saw this ad go up on kijiji (Canada's version of Craigslist).
 I instantly fell in love and knew it had to be mine! I immediately picked up the phone and called the number, but unfortunately the guy was just loading it onto someone's truck. It was sold. I don't know why, but I had an urge to put the photo of the bar on pinterest because I had never seen anything like it. A few weeks passed and I got a random email from a woman who lives in Winnipeg and had even been in my shop before! Low and behold, she follows Stef and I on pinterest, saw the pin and had the exact one sitting in her garage that I could buy! My mouth literally dropped to the floor. Seriously, what are the chances? I went and picked it up that same day and it was even cheaper than the first one I fell in love with! I took it home and have loved it ever since. Well, as good as that story is, it gets even better! A few weeks after I took it home I was working at the shop and one of our regular customers who has an incredible collection of 50's and 60's furniture and knick knacks came in and we got to talking and he asked if I had found anything interesting lately. I quickly pulled up the photo on pinterest and his mouth dropped. It had been his ad on kijiji! When I called about it, it was him that I had spoken with! We had a pretty good chuckle about it, and he was so happy that I ended up finding one just like it! On that note, let me show you the cabinet!
So this is what it looked like when I first brought her home. Sorry for the poor photo!

This is what she looks like now! I'm thrilled with the way it turned out!
First I stripped it down, took out the sliding glass doors, sanded the whole thing down and then did one coat of an oil primer. Once that dried I did two coats of white paint. The left door is a little bit crooked, but I like that it doesn't look perfect!
After everything was dried, I measured the inside and cut a piece of vintage floral vinyl I had been saving for just this kind of occasion!

Ta-da! What do you think? Have you done any fun make-overs to something in your home?

37 comments:

  1. That is awesome! I love it! And a great story, no less.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That bar cabinet is SO COOL!!! That's awesome that you still were able to get one! I love it white! =)

    Ergo - Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cabinet is fantastic! I only wish I could find amazing furniture like that in Ireland!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in love with that bar cabinet!! Awesome story behind it too!!! I'd love to get my hands on something like that!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cabinet is amazing! I love kijiji. I got a dresser and desk and did a DIY mod podge. Love what you can find on kijiji!

    Summer x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what a great idea! You did a fantastic job on it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It came out awesome!

    My blog: acolorfulcreation.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is adorable! You did a great job and I love the story behind this vintage find. I guess it's a good idea to make your wishes known!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks really great, and you have a good story to go with it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. how adorable did that turn out. It was totally meant to be.

    Vintagehoneybee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I could have me a few martini's from that bar!
    www.AhkaVintage.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like it in color. It didn't look as good to me on the before. It looks awesome now.

    good job!!


    zuleyb.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, I do like the cabinet but you should have never painted it! I think it is so sad when people take an original 40-60´s furniture an paint it white or in any other color. I prefer it original!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I get so busy in the makeover process that I never take any photos! Love this transformation. The vintage glasses are to die for!
    Cheers,
    L A

    ReplyDelete
  15. So pretty!! I really want a drinks cabinet like this but we just don't have the room right now. I found a great cabinet/dresser a few months back and did that up. I'm not sure if I'm completely happy with it though - I'm debating painting all the doors turquoise. There are pictures on my blog if you want a peek :)

    www.little-beast.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't decide which I love more - the cabinet or the story behind it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Its great! I wish I could find cool vintage furniture on craigslist in st.louis!

    Sar=)

    www.etsy.com/shop/owleyevintage

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful!! I absolutely love this!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the makeover you did and your barware!
    That's so awesome you were able to find the same one again!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your cabinet makeover is great. Well done! We had a wall clock similar to yours when I was a kid. It was yellow but plugged in at the wall so had a lead running from clock to socket, I wish we kept it. We also had a large wooden wireless. I loved to fiddle with the knobs and listen to the sounds in-between stations. Thanks for the trip down memory lane! Enjoy your cabinet. I hope to find a mirrored trolley to store cocktails on :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. So perfect!!!! This piece was a great find!

    <3 Sara
    (tinysugarbee.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love it, want one! Trying to source similar but they are all too 'square' the ones I see on the 2nd hand website!! boo hoo..

    ReplyDelete
  23. Honestly it is a wonderful piece and you did an amazing job, but why on earth would you put the liquor and spirits in the top. They are not even a quarter as pretty as your glass and stem ware. Put that glass shelf back in the top and put those glasses so everyone can see your gorgeous collection! You did such a great job, and then totally botched the display part!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there. I thought I would respond to your kind of rude comment...I realize everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but this is how I chose to display it. I personally love the way the liquor looks up top! I tried putting it in the bottom, but most of the bottles did not fit. I will move things around in the future, but as of right now I love the way it is.

      Delete
  24. Love synchronicities . . . they make life so magical! Also love how the top of your cabinet resembles an old TV, complete with dials. Tune in for cocktails!

    ReplyDelete
  25. That's really lovely..I'm happy how things turned out. Lucky you - loving the furniture!

    http://jilliansmetime.blogspot.co.uk/

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. well done :)
    My loverboy and I also have a vintage bar in our living room.
    It was nice to see someone else's take on them.

    Keep up the good work.
    i love your blog

    www.shishnika.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. i love it! stunning!!
    http://mygenerouslife.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
  28. LOVE THIS! Absolutely gorgeous and such a great idea!! :) www.thisradlife.com Cheers, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is sooo cute. I ended up making one similar for my living room. I was sad that it didn't turn out anywhere as cute as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  30. That is beautiful, how much was it on Kijiji for?

    ReplyDelete
  31. I have one for sale if anyone is interested.

    ReplyDelete