September 24, 2012

Before & After: Hutch Makeover!

Today we are going to share with you a fun little project that we have been working on for the shop! This is a simple way to give tired old furniture a face-lift! Curious? Well then take a closer look at our makeover story:

It all started while we were out thrifting one afternoon and stumbled upon this diamond in the rough at a Goodwill store. As you can see it was hidden beneath a plethora of antique dishes and doilies, but that didn't stop us from seeing the potential! We had been wanting to switch up some of the displays in our shop for awhile now so we had been keeping an eye out for an interesting new (vintage) unit. After giving it some thought we decided that we could make this piece work for us so we purchased it. Yay! Time to get to work and start brainstorming!

We started by giving the entire unit a good sanding. We did this because it helps the first coat of paint stick to the surface better. Then we gave it a coat of white primer and let it dry overnight. It is important to let the primer dry totally before you begin painting. Then it was time for the fun part - painting the hutch turquoise! (Are you surprised at our color choice? Haha, I didn't think so!) We used a bright turquoise color for the hutch and a light mint color for the drawers, all of which was done in an eggshell finish. After the unit dried overnight we moved it back to the shop and set up some fun new displays in the shelves!

Wanna see the finished product?!
Ta-da! We couldn't be happier with the end result! It looks so great in the shop and really brings a nice pop of color to the decor! It's amazing what a difference a fresh coat of paint makes! 

Hope this inspires you for your next project!
XO, Stef & Erin

22 comments:

  1. Very cute display shelf. It makes me want to browse and shop which, I guess, is the point. Ha ha. Awesome work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow how beautiful and a fab colour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh i love the color. very cute makeover. makes mewant to buy all the things displayed. especially the pyrex.


    http://acircusofherown.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sad you took off those knobs for good, but still pretty cool looking after. Maybe they weren't in great shape, it is hard to tell from the before pic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It turned out soooo cute!





    www.vegeterianventures.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so pretty! It's absolutely perfect!

    Becky
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been really wanting to paint old furniture, but I'm scared of ruining it but you did a fabulous job! Maybe now I'll finally tackle some of the stuff in my garage.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it! Super color choice ladies! It's amazing what you can find at goodwill some days :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You girls never cease to amaze me!!!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  10. So very cute ladies! I adore openness with the bright pop of color.
    Trish
    www.jellybonesblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. So so cute!! Loving it!
    megthecoolgirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks great! The whole display is so charming. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. So cute! What an awesome and cheery display!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great transformation. I love this.

    Vintagehoneybee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love, love, love this before and after. Great color!

    ~Aubrey
    www.projectlovegood.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I absolutely LOVE the color! This is the perfect way to make vintage pieces fun and modern! I really want to go on the hunt for old pieces and turn them into something special for my own place.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Real nice display! I love how the objects pop. However, I cringe that the hutch has been striped of its authenticity and actual period detailing. I don't see why you couldn't have had a custom hutch built instead. I guess you have to do what is right for you and your business. I just wish I could have saved it :(

    ReplyDelete